Things to Consider Before Choosing Pet Insurance Companies in California
- The type of coverage you need: Some pet insurance plans only cover accidental injuries, while others also cover illnesses. You will need to decide what type of coverage is right for you and your pet.
- The cost of the plan: Pet insurance can be expensive, so it is important to find a plan that fits your budget.
- The deductible and reimbursement rate: The deductible is the amount of money you will have to pay out of pocket before your insurance kicks in. The reimbursement rate is the percentage of the vet bill that your insurance will cover.
- The waiting period: Some pet insurance companies have a waiting period before they will cover certain conditions. This is usually around 14 days.
- The policy limits: The policy limits are the maximum amount of money your insurance will pay out for a single claim or over the lifetime of your pet.
Yosemite National Park, the City of Angels, an endless coastline of sandy beaches and over 30,000 pets running into the sunset – all these make California a dream state for pets and their human parents.
But, glorious as the Gold Coast maybe for you and your darling pet, it is always important to stay in the clear against potential hazards that might endanger their health.
Therefore, getting your little pal pet insurance is a must. Speaking of pet insurance, California, the El Dorado of states, is one of the best places to find a suitable service.
Pet insurance can help ensure that your pet receives the medical attention it requires without depleting your bank account or racking up credit card debts.
However, finding comprehensive coverage for your pet at a fair price can also be challenging. To make the process go faster, we’ve compiled a list of the 8 finest California pet insurance companies, each geared to certain needs and preferences.
Best Pet Insurance in California 2023: Top Service Providers to Choose From
La La Land offers a tremendous choice of pet insurance options that will keep the sun shining on your beloved pet – and give you peace of mind as well.
Here are the top pet insurance contenders in California in 2023.
Lemonade Pet Insurance offers pet parents to tailor their insurance to their pet’s specific needs, allowing them to just pay for the coverage they require.
It provides lighting-fast plan quotes and a simple digital approach. Its use of insurance allows them to provide its customers with extremely low prices and industry-leading insurance packages.
- Offers the most economical premiums for illness and accident plans on a regular basis
- Pet accidents are subject to a two-day waiting period
- Lemonade participates in a charity giving program
- Offers a 10% multi-pet discount
- Enrollment eligibility is limited to dogs aged 14 and over
- Behavioral pet issues aren’t covered
Lemonade Plans & Coverage
Lemonade offers one plan that covers diagnostic testing, injections, hospitalization, surgery, and prescription drugs for pets involved in accidents and illnesses.
It additionally offers three optional coverages, including physical therapy coverage, veterinary visit fees, and preventative care.
Pet parents can personalize the coverage levels and pricing of their Lemonade pet insurance policy by selecting from the following deductibles: $100, $250, or $500.
Pet parents can also select annual coverage limits ranging from $5.000 to $100.000, as well as reimbursement rates ranging from 70% to 90%.
Embrace Pet Insurance
Embrace is another top-rated California pet insurance provider. It is one of the oldest pet insurance companies, having been founded in 2003.
The company insures pets for up to 15 years against accidents and illnesses.
Pet parents can still buy insurance after that age, but it will only cover accidents.
Embrace offers a Wellness Rewards plan, and every policy includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Offers 10% discount for multiple pets
- Offers an online chat
- Offers plan customization
- Unique Healthy Pet Deductible – deductible with $50 each year you don’t submit a claim.
- Supplements and prescription pet food are not covered
- Customer service hours are limited
Embrace Plans & Coverage
Embrace offers an accident and illness plan that covers vet expenses, procedures, and treatment for chronic ailments, hereditary conditions, cancer, and more.
It also offers a Wellness Rewards add-on, which allows pet parents to choose between paying $250, $450, or $650 per year to cover 100% of the costs of eligible preventive care.
Embrace will lower pet owners’ annual deductible by $50 each year they don’t receive a claim refund.
Healthy Paws was founded in 2009 and offer a single accident and illness insurance policy for cats and dogs.
This company’s policies have no claim payout restrictions for annual, lifetime, or per-incident claims, so pet owners will never be underinsured during a claim.
The company is excellent for pets who enlist when they’re young, as the coverage for older pets is more limited.
Healthy Paws Pros
- Quick claims process
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Alternative therapy for diagnosed diseases
- Perfect for younger pets
Healthy Paws Cons
- Does not provide any discounts
- There is only one policy available
Healthy Paws Plans & Coverage
Healthy Paws offers only one insurance plan for accidents and illnesses that covers hereditary, chronic, and congenital conditions, as well as fractured bones and cancer.
Pet owners can set a deductible between $100 and $500 and there are no yearly, per-incident, or lifetime benefit restrictions.
Pre-existing conditions that develop prior to enrollment are not covered under this plan.
Prudent Pet was founded in 2018 and stands as one of the finest pet insurance in California.
It offers pet owners a variety of base plan options, including an accident-only policy, as well as more comprehensive ones.
It provides its customers with the most comprehensive plan on the market, as well as policies that are transparent and easy to understand.
Prudent Pet Pros
- Its accident coverage has a five-day waiting period
- There are no age restrictions
- There is a 10% discount for numerous pets
- Transparent insurance plans
Prudent Pet Cons
- Customization of coverage caps is not possible
- Does not provide a mobile app
Prudent Pet Plans & Coverage
Prudent Pet offers three plans including accident-only coverage, an essential plan, and the ultimate plan.
The company offers reimbursement rates of 70%, 80%, or 90%, with $100 to $1.000 annual deductibles. Coverage limits begin at $10.000 and go to a limitless amount – if pet owners purchase the highest level policy.
The brand’s Wellness Coverage, an add-on for routine care benefits, including wellness checkups and immunization, is also available through Prudent Pet.
ASPCA, founded in 2006, is another wonderful option for pet owners in sunny California. It is the first humane society in North America and is one of the largest animal care organizations worldwide.
The company offers comprehensive pet insurance packages that are an excellent choice for pet owners residing in California.
To its clientele, ASPCA offers three different plans and includes microchip implantation to assist pet parents in locating their missing pets.
- It provides five annual coverage options
- All pets are covered without the need for recent medical documents
- It covers microchipping implantations
- World’s largest animal procession organization
- Only $10.00 maximum coverage limit
- Accidents are subject to a 14-day waiting period
ASPCA Plans & Coverage
The company offers two types of pet insurance plans, including an accident-only plan and a complete coverage plan that covers both accidents and illnesses.
Operations, treatments, exam fees, and other expenses are covered by both plans.
Deductible for cats and dogs starts at $100, and there is a 14-day waiting period after first registration for accidents and illnesses.
It also provides add-on wellness care plans to help pet parents stay on top of their pet’s preventative healthcare requirements.
Many Pets was founded in 2012 and offers customizable pet health insurance for accidents and illnesses for both cats and dogs, as well as an optional wellness plan.
It has various useful and unique coverage features, as well as very responsible pricing.
Many Pets also offers unique characteristics in that there is no deductible that must be met before reimbursement can begin.
Many Pets Pros
- Covers veterinary examination fees for accidents and illnesses
- Provides affordable premiums
- Offers a wellness plan for routine care
- Customizable pet insurance plans
Many Pets Cons
- Currently available in less than 20 states
- Behavioral therapy for pets is not covered.
Many Pets Plans & Coverage
For both dogs and cars, Many Pets offers a pet health insurance policy for accidents and illnesses, as well as an optional wellness plan for preventive and routine care.
The monthly premium is determined by various factors such as species, breed, and geographic location. Prices for dogs begin at $20, and for cats at $15.
Deductibles range from $0 to $750, with reimbursement rates ranging from 70% to 100%.
Figo was founded in 2013 and is among the best pet insurance companies in California.
It provides accident and illness coverage and offers three different plans, all available at a different cost. On top of that, the provider allows pet insurance coverage based on the annual deductible amount.
Figo also offers a Pet Cloud app, which allows pet owners to find other pet owners in their area, share photos, and explore pet parks, in addition to pet insurance policies.
- Provides a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers Pet Cloud App
- Pet owners can choose their deductible, reimbursement rate, and annual benefit
- Additional wellness plan for pets
- The wellness package is an extra cost
- Premium increases as the pet ages
Figo Plans & Coverage
Figo offers a total of three pet insurance plans, each with different pricing and coverage, all depending on the annual deductible amount.
In detail, their Essential Plan comes with $5.000 in yearly benefits and the Preferred Plan with $10.000. The third or Ultimate Plan is available with unlimited benefits.
As a plus, Figo offers an additional wellness plan that includes blood work, heartworm protection, and immunization.
Petplan (Fetch By Dodo)
Fetch by Dodo pet Insurance has offered pet insurance since 2001. For Californians, it offers comprehensive care coverage, including diseases and injuries of the mouth.
Additionally, pet owners may purchase a plan that includes behavioral treatments and problems such as separation anxiety.
Not just that, but the brand also covers a wide range of holistic remedies that have been approved by a veterinarian.
Fetch By Dodo Pros
- Immediate 5% discount for coverages purchased online
- Older pets are not excluded from the coverage
- Additional discounts available for microchipped pets
- Behavioral treatments
Fetch By Dodo Cons
- There is no discount for multiple pets
- There is no wellness plan option available
Fetch By Dodo Plans & Coverage
All in all, Petplan offers a single plan with $5.000, $15.000, or limitless payouts per year for accidents and illnesses.
The plan covers various pet insurance aspects, such as emergency care, cancer treatments, hospitalization, and rehabilitation, as well as conditions like hip dysplasia and chronic illnesses.
The company also includes several additional reimbursements such as vacation cancellation fees.
What Is Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance is a specialized medical plan designed to provide partial reimbursement for unexpected accidents and illnesses that require veterinary care for your pets. Unlike human health insurance, where you often have to stay within a network of healthcare providers, pet insurance generally allows you the flexibility to visit any licensed veterinarian, giving you peace of mind about your pet’s health. It’s a nationwide service, ensuring your pet’s coverage extends wherever you go, even when traveling or on vacation.
Types of Pet Insurance Plans
When you purchase pet insurance, you typically have several options to choose from:
- Accident and Illness Coverage: This is the most common and comprehensive type of pet insurance. It covers a wide range of expenses related to accidents (like broken bones and lacerations) and illnesses (such as cancer, diabetes, respiratory infections, and hereditary conditions).
- Accident-Only Coverage: If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option and don’t need coverage for illnesses, you can opt for accident-only pet insurance. This plan covers expenses solely related to accidents, like snake bites, car accidents, or dental injuries.
- Wellness Plans: Many insurance providers offer wellness plans as add-on options. These plans cover preventive and routine care, such as microchipping, annual exams, vaccinations, spaying and neutering surgeries, and more. Since standard pet insurance doesn’t cover these costs, a wellness plan provides additional financial support for your pet’s health.
How Pet Insurance Works
Pet insurance operates by reimbursing you for a portion of your pet’s medical expenses. The process usually involves the following steps:
- Paying for Veterinary Care: When your pet requires veterinary treatment, you pay the full cost of the care up front.
- Requesting Reimbursement: After the visit, you submit a claim to the pet insurance company, providing the necessary documentation and invoices.
- Reimbursement Based on Your Coverage: The insurance company will evaluate your claim and reimburse you for the eligible expenses based on your coverage. The amount you receive depends on your policy’s terms and your chosen deductible, annual maximum limit, and reimbursement percentage.
How Much is Pet Insurance in California?
Pet insurance in California is priced differently than in other states and it all depends on the breed, age, and physical location of the pet.
Because of their tendency for specific diseases, certain breeds are more expensive than others and so, they’ll have more extensive insurance plans. Older animals, on the other hand, are more expensive to insure since they are more prone to have health problems. Furthermore, vets in major Californian cities will charge more for the service, compared to those in smaller towns along the Golden Coast.
However, based on our research, the average monthly pet insurance cost California has offered averages from $20 to $60 for dogs, and $10 to $30 for cats.
Common Pet Injuries and Illnesses in California
California’s diverse landscape and unique wildlife can pose various risks to pets. Below are some prevalent pet injuries and illnesses in the state, along with how pet insurance can assist in covering the costs of prevention and treatment.
In California, outbreaks of dog flu caused by strains H3N2 and H3N8 are a consistent concern. A pet wellness plan can help defray the expenses of flu vaccinations to reduce your dog’s risk of contracting the virus. If your dog does become ill, having pet insurance can help cover a portion of the veterinary care costs.
Gila Monster Bites
These venomous lizards are exclusive to California, and if one bites your pet, you will require the expertise of a veterinarian to remove the lizard safely. Your pet may also need treatment for wounds, including intravenous fluids and antibiotics, which can be covered by pet insurance.
Pets that are frequently boarded or attend daycare are more susceptible to this contagious bacterial infection. Leptospirosis can result in symptoms like diarrhea, high fevers, jaundice, and vomiting. Pet insurance may cover the cost of antibiotics to aid in your pet’s recovery, and a wellness plan might include coverage for the vaccine to prevent infection.
California is home to nearly 50 species of snakes, with at least seven of them being venomous. If your pet is bitten by a venomous snake, immediate emergency care is essential. Accident pet insurance can potentially save you thousands of dollars, relieving you of the financial burden and allowing you to concentrate on your pet’s well-being.
For those residing near the California desert, the fungal lung infection known as Valley fever can pose a risk to dogs. Treatment typically involves antifungal medications and a visit to the veterinarian. Pet insurance can assist in covering the costs associated with these treatments.
Pet Insurance in California: FAQ
Where to find the most affordable pet insurance California has to offer?
Pet insurance costs vary depending on your pet’s breed, age, as well as the pet’s location. We discovered that numerous companies including Healthy Paws, ASPCA, Lemonade, and others offer the most affordable pet insurance plans. However, be careful to verify which pet insurance provider offers the most discounts for your pet’s needs.
How does pet insurance work in California?
It’s very easy to get pet insurance in California. Dog and cat owners first need to get an itemized invoice from their veterinarian, as well as the diagnosis. Following that, pet owners must file a claim to the pet insurance company and wait for their money to be refunded.
What does California pet insurance cover?
Most California pet insurance plans, in general, cover unexpected accidents or injuries, diseases, emergency treatment, medication, surgery, and exam fees. Many pet insurances provide additional plans and features that tend to pets in need of additional medical treatment. However, the majority of them require additional fees.