Louisiana is not only a mixture of cultures and nationalities but a home to many four-legged fluffy friends.
Surprisingly, 38.3% of Louisiana households own a dog, and 19% of Louisiana households own a cat which instantly puts Louisiana in the 5th place of the most pet-friendly states.
However, in order to keep your pet safe and sound, a suitable vet check is required. But, since vets can get quite salty in price, suitable pet insurance is what you need to seek next.
To find a superb provider in the state, take a look at the best pet insurance Louisiana provider in 2023.
Lemonade justified its 96/100 score for the best pet insurance, and we’ve listed all the reasons in this section.
- Short accident waiting period
- Young pets wellness pack
- 10% discount if you bundle your pet insurance policy with Lemonade’s home insurance or renters insurance.
- To be eligible for coverage, your pet must have full records from a recent veterinarian exam
- Doesn’t cover 14 years old dogs
- Dental treatments aren’t included
Plans & Coverage
Lemonade is a much more flexible pet insurance company than many of its competitors. Also, the basic plan practically covers everything an average dog or cat needs, including:
- Accidents: fractures, infections, poisoning, and other accidents.
- Congenital & Hereditary conditions: asthma, elbow, or hip dysplasia, allergies, or any inherited or genetic illness
- Common Illnesses: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea,
- Chronic diseases: heart diseases, kidney failures, cancer, the list goes on.
If your pet is one with special needs, Lemonade includes more options to add to your plan, such as:
- Hospitalization: surgeries, special care, outpatient, hospital needs
- Tests and Screenings: blood tests, lab work, CT Scans, X-rays, ultrasounds, and all tests required for treating illness or injury
- Therapy: Physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture
- Med Prescription: Only the ones prescribed by vets
- Vet visit fees: exam fees
Lemonade includes a preventative care plan, too. This plan fits any pet parent, but especially those with a young pet, or first-time parents. It covers all needed treatments, vet check-ups, and vaccines.
In terms of pricing, Lemonade offers reimbursements of 70%, 80%, or 90%.
For those who want to make the most of their plan, Lemonade introduced premium coverage. Lemonade’s premiums come with the basic plan and preventative care but also include dental cleaning, flea, tick, and heartworm prevention, and all needed vaccines for puppies or kitties younger than 2 years.
Embrace is one of the most popular pet insurance for dogs in Louisiana providers. As per feedback, it has a 9/10 rating. The reason behind their popularity lies in the affordable plans that are still fully packed.
- It includes a “diminishing deductible,” which decreases the deductible by $50 for each year without a claim filed.
- It covers the cost of a vet visit in case of illness or accident.
- Accident coverage has a 2-day waiting period.
- There are no alternatives for deductibles that are infinite or $0.
- Wellness benefits are limited to $650 per year.
- Hidden fees
Plans & Coverage
Embrace’s list of coverage includes:
- Accidents and illnesses: any injury, accident, poisoning, predator attack
- Random sickness: fever, cold, nausea, diarrhea, heat strokes, to name a few
- Chronic Illnesses: heart diseases, kidney failures, asthma, cancer
- Specialty care: elbow or hip dysplasia
- Preventable conditions: Lyme disease, parasites, parvo, and other illnesses
- Dental Accidents and Illnesses: Embrace covers dental illnesses and accidents up to $1,000
- Follow-ups: Embrace covers for any follow-up that comes after a covered illness or injury. That can be surgery, meds, tests, scans, etc.
- Breed-specific & Genetic conditions: any illness inherited is covered and doesn’t count as a pre-existing condition
- Behavioral Therapy: separation therapy
The best feature Embrace introduces is its flexible deductibles. If you don’t claim for a year, the deductibles reduce, and you’ll save some money.
Yet, the best part about this provider has to do with reimbursement. Here you can set up to 90% reimbursement, and get your share as you head home since Embrace fosters Direct Vet Pay which is perfect for pet owners with a limited budget.
Healthy Paws is a non-profit organization on a mission to raise awareness against animal cruelty. Additionally, Healthy Paws are one of the loudest animal rights advocates and offer an extensive offering of plans.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 12+ years of experience in the business
- Covers alternative and chiropractic therapies, which is super hard to find cover, and insured.
- Wellness or preventative care aren’t covered.
- It can take a year for hyp dysplasia therapies
- Vet examination fees aren’t covered
Plans & Coverage
Healthy Paws offers only one coverage plan, but it’s super specific and covers the following:
- Accidents and Illnesses: broken bones, poisoning, snake bites, predator attacks
- Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Hip and Elbow Dysplasia, Intervertebral Disc Disease, Cherry Eye, tests, scans, and x-rays.
- Chronic Conditions: diabetes, obesity, arthritis, upper chronic respiratory diseases, lower urinary tract diseases, kidney failures, glaucoma, hypothyroidism, allergies, herpes
- Emergency & Specialty Care: neurology, cardiology, ophthalmology, internal medicine, critical care, oncologists for cancer treatments
- Alternative care: chiropractic, hydrotherapy, laser therapy, massage, acupuncture, veterinary herbal therapy, homeotherapy.
- Cancer: chemotherapy, lab tests, surgery, diagnostics, med prescriptions, alternative therapy, radiation therapy, diagnostics, rehabilitation
When it comes to pricing, Healthy Paws includes fair prices, as the prices aren’t fixed, but determined based on the pet’s age, type, or breed.
In general, the price for an average adult dog will be around $40, whereas for cats it will estimate $12.
Moreover, you can get a reimbursement of up to 90% without annual limits.
Fetch by Dodo (Petplan)
Many confuse Petplan and Fetch by the Dodo pet insurance companies, but they umbrella the same pet insurance.
Not so long ago, Fetch acquired Petplan, and there are some changes normally, but the reputation and credibility of the insurance remain untouched. We put this pet insurance Louisiana provider because it comes with outstanding performances in the pricing plans, worth looking for.
- Liberty to pick your vet
- Offers online vet visits
- Flexibility on many levels
- Annual limits on coverage
- No discounts for insuring other pets
- Preventative care isn’t covered
Plans & Coverage
There’s only one coverage plan under Petplan. However, the flexibility and adjustments come with affordable prices, and here are the coverage options you’re looking at:
- Accidents & Illnesses
- Hereditary & Congenital Conditions
- Chronic conditions
- Med Prescription
- Alternative Therapies
- Behavioral Therapies
The flexibility and customization can depend on base don what you are willing to pay.
As for the annual caps on coverage, they are as follow:
The first two caps basically cover accidents and illnesses. But if you have a mature pet, you’ll probably need more than that, since other chronic diseases can develop in older pets.
If you choose a plan with a $15,000 annual cap or more, you’ll get the following coverage:
- Lost Pet reimbursement: Any lost insured pet gets reimbursement
- Travel reimbursement: Petplan covers for accidents and illnesses over a vacation.
- Cost of boarding: If a pet gets sick or wounded over a snow day, Petplan covers the hospitalization or the staycation.
- Advertisement and reward: Petplan puts any insured pets on a map in case they get stolen.
Petplan users can also set their reimbursements to 70%, 80%, or 90%. The last adjustment is with the deductibles and you can choose from $250 – $1,000.
In 2006, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group formed a collaboration to provide affordable pet insurance plans to animals worldwide.
As for ASPCA’s credibility, the United States Fire Insurance Company, which has an A rating from AM Best, underwrites the insurance policies.
- Pre-existing conditions aren’t regarded as pre-existing if the pet has been symptom-free and treated for 180 days.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers a 10% discount for each extra pet
- 14 days waiting period for accidents which is behind the competitors
- Complaints on reimbursement
- Once you set your plan you cannot change it until 12 months pass
Plans & Coverage
ASPCA introduces only two plans: Accidents Only and Complete Coverage.
The Accidents Only plan covers treatment of injuries, wounds, predator attacks, ingestion, poisoning, and any other ailment. Consider this plan as your starter pack.
The Complete Coverage Plan, on the other hand, covers not just accidents and sickness, but also:
- Undefined illnesses: gastrointestinal problems, ear, eye, and skin infections, urinary tract infections, hypothyroidism
- Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: IVDD, eye issues, hip or elbow dysplasia, cardiac illnesses
- Chronic Illnesses: Diabetes, cancer, asthma
- Scanning & Tests: Ultrasounds, bloodwork, lab work, MRIs, and other tests and lab examinations
- Therapy types: Rehabilitation and chiropractic treatment
- Preventive behavioral interventions: Destructive chewing, pacing, licking, fur pulling, separation
- Med Prescription
- Microchip implants
Additionally, you can add the wellness plan if you have a puppy or kitty younger than 2 years. It covers all the starting vaccines and check-ups you should know.
As for ASPCA prices see the possible adjustments you’ll have to make. Firstly, you can choose an annual coverage cap of:
The three possibilities for deductibles estimate $100, $250, or $500. Reimbursements come at 70%, 80%, or 90%.
Figo is not only an insurance provider but a tech-driven company with a mission to improve animal lives. Therefore, they introduced Figo Pet Cloud – a social tool that allows many pet parents to chat and schedule playdates.
Moreover, Figo made a huge step in improving the surgical procedures for pets.
- Customer support is available in a variety of ways.
- High customer satisfaction
- Freedom of choosing a vet
- Disappointment with the official website’s interface
- Admin charges
- Restrictions for senior pets
Plans & Coverage
There are three plans by Figo: Essential, Preferred, and Ultimate.
The Essential plan allows cover of $5,000 annually, the Preferred plan $10,000, and the Ultimate plan is limitless.
Here’s what each plan covers:
- Accidents & Illnesses: coverage in case of an illness or an injury
- Hereditary and congenital conditions: illness or inherited and genetic conditions
- Hospitalization: all relevant tests, lab works, examinations, or other follow-ups of a covered illness as per the arranged plan
- Chronic conditions: heart disease, kidney failure, asthma, and so on. Also, Figo includes advanced treatments like CyberKnife and radiosurgery.
Optionally, there’s the Wellness Plan, most convenient for young puppies or kitties.
Figo users can set a $100-$1,500 deductible, whichever suits them most.
We saved the best for last – Figo Pet Insurance comes with deductibles varying from 70% to absolute coverage or 100%
Prudent Pet debuted in 2018, and although fairly new on the market, the pricing plans it offers trump some of its competitors – mostly in terms of affordability.
As a leading pet Insurance Louisiana provider, here is what Prudent Pet has to offer.
- No restrictions on older pets
- Many discounts
- Fast claims
- Waiting periods are slow
- Not a mobile-friendly insurance
- Pricey premium programs
Plans & Coverage
There are three pet insurance options with Prudent Pet.
- The Basic Plan: Accidents and Illnesses – the basics
- The Essential Plan: The basic plan + chronic, and congenital diseases. In other words, infections of the eye, ear, or skin, birth deformities, or hip or elbow dysplasia.
- The Ultimate Plan: This plan is all-inclusive. It covers lost pets, boarding expenses, and reimbursement for theft or stray animals.
The pricing at Prudent Pet is really fair. A deductible of $100, $250, $500, or $1,000 is the beginning point for a variety of deductible options.
The Basic and Essential plans, on the other hand, are limited to $10,000, while the Ultimate plan has no restrictions.
In terms of reimbursement options, you can choose between 70%, 80%, or 90%.
FAQ: Pet Insurance in Louisiana
How much is Pet Insurance in Louisiana?
Louisiana pet insurance providers are flexible both in terms of their coverage plans, and their pricing. There are various plans to choose from in terms of deductibles, reimbursement, annual caps on coverage, unlimited options, premium plans, etc.
However, there are pet insurance companies that estimate the costs according to your pet’s age, breed, and pet type. On average, you are looking at paying $40 for a dog, and $12 for a cat.