Having a pet can be as much a burden as it is a pleasure. This is why getting appropriate pet insurance is a smart thing to do, especially in the Mitten State.
Getting your pet insured in the Great Lake land gives you many options to consider, including different plans and different budget options that work the best for your pet’s needs.
To choose a cheap pet insurance Michigan plan that suits your pet like a glove – pun intended – read our list of the best pet insurance Michigan providers in 2022.
Without a doubt, one of the best pet insurance providers in Michigan is Lemonade.
Lemonade is the best-of-all-worlds provider for your pet. It offers quite affordable pet insurance plans, comes with a variety of discounts, and allows for customizable insurance plans that suit the particular needs of every pet and pet owner.
Lemonade offers special packages for both cats and dogs younger than 2 years and comes with a mobile, AI-supported app, which allows you to easily submit claims and add or subtract pets to and from your insurance plan.
- $100,000 maximum annual coverage
- Affordable yearly deductibles
- A variety of discounts, including 7%-10% discount to customers with annual deals, 10% discount to customers opting for the Lemonade Renters or Home Insurance + Lemonade Pets Insurance bundle, etc.
- A comprehensive mobile device app that allows you to easily deal with most of your insurance-related obligations
- Only a 2-day waiting period when it comes to accidents
- No dental coverage
- 6-month waiting period for cruciate ligament issues
- Underwhelming BBB rating
- Varying upper age limits
Lemonade Plans & Coverage
Lemonade’s basic pet insurance package essentially covers all kinds of illnesses and injuries. These include infections, chronic afflictions, broken bones, ultrasounds, X-rays, blood tests, urinalysis, diagnostics, surgeries, etc.
What is excluded in their pet plans is dental care, pre-existing conditions, bilateral conditions, behavioral and experimental treatments, as well as elective procedures.
The plan has an upper age limit, varying depending on the pet’s breed, but doesn’t cover exotic pets.
The Lemonade best pet insurance for dogs in Michigan averages at $27 a month, while that for cats, it rounds up at $15 a month. Both dog and cat insurance starts at $10 a month whereas the coverage limits vary between $5,000 and $100,000.
Another strong candidate for the best pet insurance in Michigan position has to be Embrace. A solid provider, with a variety of monthly or annual plans, what makes Embrace stand out among the competition is its series of deductibles.
These will be able to make an insurance policy that may seem to be on the saltier side but are much more affordable in the long run.
While Embrace pet insurance is strictly limited to cats and dogs, it is truly dedicated to providing all adequate plans they might need. Before creating an insurance plan and offering a monthly or annual price, Embrace also takes into consideration all details about your pet – its age, breed, location, gender, etc.
- 5% discount for military members
- 10% pet insurance Michigan multiple pets discount
- Healthy Pet Deductible – your pet’s deductible will decrease by $50 for every year when you haven’t made a claim
- A monthly plan pricing with varying deductibles, ranging between $200 and $1,000
- A MyEmbrace and mobile app for Android and iOS for making quick claims
- The basic policy includes exam fees
- Up to 100% reimbursement for preventative care
- Rather expensive wellness coverage add-ons and monthly preventative care
- A $1 monthly installment fee – doesn’t apply to customers who opt for an annual plan
- An annual reimbursement limit ranging only between $5,000 and $30,000
Embrace Plans & Coverage
Like most other pet insurance providers, Embrace doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions and elective treatments, as well as breeding and pregnancy-related expenses.
What it does cover are most pet illnesses and injuries, including accidents, hospitalizations, allergy and cancer treatments, broken bones, dental illnesses, diagnostics, prescription drugs, lab tests, etc.
The average cat coverage estimates around $17 a month, while the average dog coverage is around $35 a month.
The Wellness Rewards Reimbursement Plan for add-ons varies between $18 ($250 allowance) a month and $52 ($650 allowance) a month.
What makes us count Healthy Paws as one of the best pet insurance Michigan policy providers are several of its core attributes.
Such include its affordability, simplicity – it offers only a single insurance policy plan – its reputation for treating chronic conditions, and its unlimited annual caps.
Having existed for more than 11 years, Healthy Paws knows what it does best and delivers. It is one of the most charitable pet insurance in Michigan companies as well and donates more than $1.5 million a year to the fight against pet homelessness.
- It has a policy collaboration with the Chubb insurance group
- Has a 30-day cash-back guarantee
- Offers unlimited maximum payouts
- Processes payout claims within 2 days of submitting them
- No preventative and wellness plans
- No plan customization for pets aged 6 years or more
- Hip dysplasia is only covered after the first year of using the insurance
- No discount for multiple pets
Healthy Paws Plans & Coverage
The basic insurance plan offered by Healthy Paws covers illnesses and injuries, as well as hospitalizations and emergencies as part of the standard insurance plan. What it doesn’t cover are pre-existing conditions, dental cleaning, parasite control, vet and exam fees, behavioral issues, and neutering.
Whereas the price for the plans depends on the pet’s age, the average monthly fee for dogs is around $40, while that for cats is around $12. Both dogs and cats are insured until 14 years of age.
Prudent Pet is a leading Michigan pet insurance provider and the epitome of versatility – both financially and service-wise.
With the provider’s plans, pet owners can choose between accident-only pet insurance plans, which are among the most affordable of all providers; their Essential plan, which also includes illnesses; or their Ultimate plan, which not only covers almost every pet expense you could think of but also comes with an unlimited annual cap.
Prudent Pet truly has something for everyone.
- Customizable plans for all budgets
- Their Ultimate Plan covers even boarding fees for vacations and behavioral issues in pets
- 24/7 active vet chat
- 10% discount for multiple pets
- Convenient preventative care plan options
- It only covers insurance for dogs and cats
- Charges extra fees for pet exams
- Has a 6-month waiting period for cruciate ligament issues
- No customizable coverage limits
Prudent Pet Plans & Coverage
The most affordable Prudent Pet plan, aka their Accident-Only Plan, starts at $10 per month and covers up to $10,000 per year for pet accidents only. At the same time, the Essential Plan starts at $16 per month and covers up to $10,000 per year for both pet accidents and illnesses.
The Ultimate Plan covers everything that you can think of and more, including searching for lost pets, as well as expenses related to pet burials and cremations. In terms of cost, the average monthly fee for cats is around $23, while that for dogs is about $39.
Yet another sublime pet insurance Michigan policy provider is ASPCA. Offering a wide array of customizable pet insurance plans, ASPCA bounds to offer something for any pet owner in the Michigan area.
ASPCA offers pet owners an accident-only plan that is significantly more affordable than other options out there. In addition, their comprehensive plan not only includes pet illnesses treatment but also covers behavioral issues and hereditary conditions.
- The comprehensive plan includes a variety of expenses, including dental coverage
- Has a 30-day cash-back guarantee
- Comes with a low deductible
- Coverage starts 15 days after the purchase of the policy
- $10,000 annual cap on claims
- Quite expensive overall
- Limited only to dogs and cats
ASPCA Plans & Coverage
Aside from pet-related issues that are not covered by almost any pet insurance policy provider on this list – pre-existing conditions, breeding costs, cosmetic expenses, and preventative care – ASPCA covers everything else with its comprehensive plan.
Pet accidents, illnesses, vet checkups, and exams, among other services, are fully covered by the provider. In terms of budget, depending on the pet insurance plan you go for, the price for their services will vary. Presently, the provider’s monthly average for cats is around $29, while that for dogs is $48.
Fetch by Dodo (PetPlan)
What sets Fetch by Dodo apart from other competitors on this list is its very clear targeting of particular pet issues and conditions.
For example, Fetch by Dodo is great for boarding bills for your pet, in case you are prevented from taking care of your pet for a few days. However, Fetch by Dodo falls short when it comes to covering various other fields, such as preventative care for pets, not listed in their service portfolio.
- Comes with more affordable options
- Homeopathy, chiropractic therapy, and laser therapy covered
- Basic plan comes with vet exam, boarding, and kennel fee coverage
- No preventative care
- No exceptions when it comes to pre-existing conditions, or cosmetic treatments
Fetch Plans & Coverage
With both an accident-only plan and pet plans that cover multiple expenses, Fetch by Dodo allows for versatility depending on your budget and lifestyle. You can choose between an annual cap of $5,000, $15,000, or unlimited, as well as between deductibles of $250, $300, and $500, and reimbursement options of 70%, 80%, and 90%.
Across Michigan, the provider covers pet expenses related to specific kinds of therapy they might need, like acupuncture or holistic treatments. At the same time, the provider falls short when it comes to covering preventative care, or breeding-related issues.
Their waiting period is 15 days for both accidents and illnesses, and 6 months for cruciate ligament, patella, and hip dysplasia ailments.
Figo is a unique provider of pet insurance in Michigan. Aside from the regular pet coverage, it also offers an Extra Care Back feature, which covers property damage caused by your pet. Not to mention, they also provide the Figo Pet Cloud, which allows you to connect to other pet owners in the area.
- 24/7 live vet chat
- 1-day waiting period for accidents and injuries
- 100% reimbursement
- Unlimited annual claim caps
- More affordable premiums for elderly pets
- No cheaper, accident-only plan
- No cover for behavioral issues
Figo Plans & Coverage
Figo offers flexible coverage plans, with movable caps at $5,000, $10,000, or unlimited per year. The Extra Care Back option covers external damages caused by your pet, in addition to all the regular issues usually covered by pet insurance companies.
Otherwise, Figo offers an accident and injury-only plan, in addition to a plan which covers accidents and illnesses alike. Neither of these options covers the standard conditions not covered by pet insurance companies; pre-existing conditions, elective procedures, and breeding expenses.
Wellness, as well as vet check-ups and exams, need to be paid additionally, as part of a separate plan, which also encompasses vaccinations, blood work, and preventative treatments.
How Much is Pet Insurance in Michigan?
Even the best pet insurance in Michigan varies in price, as it does in other states, depending on the particular species, breed, age, gender, and health condition of your pet.
According to research, Michigan pet insurance tends to be slightly cheaper on average, compared to other states.
Considering both the varying factors when it comes to the pet itself, as well as the plan that you may have opted for, the average monthly price ranges between $10 and $70 for both cats and dogs. Although, cats veer more toward the cheaper side, while dog services tend to be a bit costlier.
FAQ: Pet Insurance in Michigan
Are there specific Michigan laws that should concern pet owners?
Yes. There are several laws concerning dog owners in Michigan. One is that female dogs in heat can only move outside the owner’s property on a leash. Another is that you cannot own a dog older than 6 months without a license. Read them thoroughly before buying – or adopting – a pet.
Are vaccinations covered?
Most basic plans don’t cover vaccinations, but some premium plans, such as those offered by Lemonade, or Embrace, do.
Is There a Waiting Period?
Yes, even though it may vary depending on whether it’s for pet accidents or illnesses. The average waiting time is around 15 days, but some insurance providers have shorter or longer waiting periods than that.