Things to Consider Before Choosing Pet Insurance in Minnesota
- The type of coverage you need: Some pet insurance plans only cover accidental injuries, while others also cover illnesses. You will need to decide what type of coverage is right for you and your pet.
- The cost of the plan: Pet insurance can be expensive, so it is important to find a plan that fits your budget.
- The deductible and reimbursement rate: The deductible is the amount of money you will have to pay out of pocket before your insurance kicks in. The reimbursement rate is the percentage of the vet bill that your insurance will cover.
- The waiting period: Some pet insurance companies have a waiting period before they will cover certain conditions. This is usually around 14 days.
- The policy limits: The policy limits are the maximum amount of money your insurance will pay out for a single claim or over the lifetime of your pet.
With over 200,000 hectares of land covered with forests, parks, lakes, grasslands, and rivers, Minnesota has plenty to offer when it comes to pets. Pet owners can relish quality time outdoors too, savoring every moment regardless of the season.
However, the wilderness also brings potential threats of accidents and injuries. The best way to protect your furball is to choose one of the Minnesota pet insurance companies and get one of the affordable coverage plans.
When it comes to our fluffy and adorable family members, we all want only the best for them. To help you select the top pet insurance MN, we researched some top insurance providers. Let’s dive right in!
Spot Pet Insurance
Established in 2019, Spot Pet Insurance is an acclaimed pet insurance MN company due to its partnership with Cesar Milan. The collaboration with this well-known dog trainer led to Spot eventually offering options for behavioral health coverage.
Spot offers pet insurance plans that you may customize and personalize according to your personal needs and budget. It provides an excellent user-friendly mobile app that allows users to track and view everything related to their pet’s insurance policy.
- Coverage plan for behavioral issues;
- Coverage for microchipping;
- Flexible and customizable plans;
- No upper age limits.
- Higher premiums for younger pets;
- Prescription food not covered;
- Limited to cats and dogs;
- More extended accident waiting period.
Plans & Coverage
The insurance covers accident and illness-related issues via the Accident and Illness plan, costing as little as $18 for cats and as low as $30 for dogs. It offers coverage of surgeries, hospitalization, X-rays, and consultation fees for poison control.
When talking about optional add-ons for preventive care, Spot offers two options. The Gold Preventive Care plan covers specific costs for vaccines, heartworm tests, and dental cleanings and allows for $250 annual pretreatment limits.
The annual reimbursement for the Platinum Preventive Care plan adds up to $450. Preventive procedures, spaying, and neutering are some of the services this add-on covers.
Embrace is one of the rare pet insurance Minnesota providers that offer pet parents the opportunity of scoring the ultimate Accident and Illness insurance coverage. It covers chronic conditions, hospitalization, cancer, diabetes, and a handful more.
It also offers comprehensive coverage for pets up to 14 years of age. There is a possibility to ensure dogs aged 15 or above through the Accident-Only plan.
Besides being rated among the best pet insurance MN providers, Embrace is also active on the charity scene. It donates $2 from every purchased policy to pet and animal charities using its match program.
- 10% discount for multiple pets;
- User-friendly mobile app;
- Healthy Pet Deductible Program;
- Donates a portion to charity from every sold policy.
- No unlimited annual benefit option;
- Coverage available only for dogs and cats;
- Strict policy for pre-existing conditions.
Plans & Coverage
Embrace coverage includes emergencies, surgeries, hospitalization, pet illness, allergies, and diagnostics—more or less the same coverage as other insurance companies. The average cost of the Embrace plans is around $35 per month for dogs and $18 per month for cats.
What makes Embrace stand out among the other insurance providers. Every year you don’t file a complaint, Embrace will lower the deductible by $50.
Embrace may not be willing to cover pre-existing conditions, but it does make an exception to one option. It offers coverage for pre-existing conditions deemed curable and symptom-free for 12 months.
Healthy Paws is one of the best pet insurance Minnesota providers with high coverage caps. Pet parents are offered unlimited annual coverage at low prices and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Pet parents won’t need to worry about high medical bills taking a hit on their wallets. Healthy Paws offer pet owners the option of getting an Accident and Illness plan that provides alternative treatment and prescription medication coverage, among other services.
- A two-day processing period for most claims;
- Offers better and more affordable policies than other providers;
- Actively donates funds to charities helping pets;
- User-friendly app for easy submission and insurance processing.
- Limited to only one policy;
- No wellness plan available;
- No multi-pet discount;
- A one-time $25 enrollment fee.
Plans & Coverage
Healthy Paws offers just one insurance plan for accidents and injuries, covering chronic and congenital conditions, surgery, X-rays, ultrasounds, etc. The insurance plans for cats range from $15-$31 per month and between $33 and $65 per month for dogs.
Healthy Paws doesn’t offer coverage for preventive care or wellness add-ons and doesn’t provide a discount for multiple pets. The upper age limit for insurance for pets is 14, while for a pet over six, Healthy Paws offers deductible options of only $750 and $1,000.
This high–rated provider of pet insurance in MN cares for animals and shows love for them by donating to over 300 nonprofit pet charities.
Fetch by Dodo
Fetch by the Dodo is among the favorite picks of pet insurance in MN for top-drawer coverage. It pushes the limits set by other providers by covering holistic care therapies like hydrotherapy, acupuncture, homeopathy, laser, and stem cell therapy.
- Covered telehealth vet visits of up to $1,000;
- Coverage for reward and advertising expenses for stolen or lost pets;
- A broad and unique insurance plan;
- Superior dental care coverage.
- Higher costs for older pets;
- No preventative care package;
- Fetch requires an annual examination for eligibility for coverage.
Plans & Coverage
Fetch by the Dodo offers one comprehensive accidental and illness insurance plan covering all standard items like diagnostics, surgeries, hospitalization, illness, injury, and emergency care.
The policy doesn’t offer coverage for preventive care, pet pre-existing conditions, and elective procedures. Another downside is that pets must undergo annual examinations to be eligible for coverage.
Pet insurance MN cost for this provider ranges between $40 and $140 per month for dogs and $22 and $67 monthly for cats.
ASPCA is a pet insurance MN provider with the amplest experience in the pet insurance industry on this list. It has been operating since 1977 and is part of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty on Animals. In addition, it offers owners flexible and customizable plans for their pets.
It offers a user-friendly mobile app with tons of resources on common animal health problems that pet owners may find helpful. ASPCA doesn’t require your pet to undergo preliminary testing before starting the coverage plan and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 10%–multiple–pet discounts;
- Primary coverage includes microchipping;
- 30-day money-back guarantee;
- Several add-ons to choose from.
- The annual coverage cap goes up to $10.000;
- Slightly higher monthly coverage costs
Plans & Coverage
ASPCA offers two basic insurance plans to suit the needs of pets and their owners. The Accident-Only plan covers costs related to accidents like cuts, broken bones, toxic ingestions, and abscesses. The Complete Coverage plan covers accidents and illnesses, congenital conditions, behavioral issues, dental diseases, etc.
The optional add-ons that ASPCA offers are the Basic and Prime Wellness plans. The Basic Wellness add-on includes a pre-treatment limit of $250 per year, while the limit for the Prime Wellness add-on is $450.
Concerning the average cost of the plans, they range between $20 and $37 for cats and $38 to $90 for dogs. There is also a $2 transaction fee per month, which you can avoid if you make annual payments.
Pawp is not your typical pet insurance Minnesota provider and is rather unique in its approach. Rather than offering insurance policies, Pawp enables pet owners a 24/7 connection to a virtual vet digital clinic.
Whether Pawp is the right choice for your pet highly depends on your lifestyle and the pet’s needs. One thing’s for sure, though—whenever you require professional help for your furry pal, Pawp will have the best vets up to the task!
- 24/7 access to licensed vets without scheduling an appointment;
- One membership is valid for up to six pets;
- No filing claims and waiting for reimbursements;
- $3,000 emergency fund per year.
- An emergency fund may be used only after a 14-day waiting period;
- No coverage of wellness or preventive care;
- Only emergencies are covered.
Plans & Coverage
If you are expecting a selection of customizable coverage plans and add-ons, you won’t find it with Pawp. They only offer one plan at a flat price where your pet’s age, breed, species, and gender don’t play any role.
You can use the $24–per–month membership to cover up to six pets and gain 24/7 access to a virtual vet clinic. The plan includes a $3,000 emergency fund covering life-threatening emergencies once per year.
All emergency conditions, even those resulting from pre-existing conditions, will be covered, which is a rare occurrence among insurance–plan providers. Pawp doesn’t cover preventive care, routine care, and wellness costs.
Figo has a unique approach to pet insurance. With the Accident and Illness plans being their star product, Figo ranks high among the best pet insurance Minnesota providers. Besides the plans mentioned above, Figo also offers the Extra Care Pack plan and a Figo Pet Cloud app.
Offering three plans with variable cost and coverage, Figo provides coverage for over eight weeks old pets. The plans cover illnesses and accidents and unique add-ons that you can’t find in other providers.
- 100% reimbursement rate;
- Cheaper plan options for older pets;
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Behavioral treatments are not covered;
- Increased premiums as the pet ages.
Plans & Coverage
Figo offers three different plans with annual caps of $5,000, $10,000, and unlimited benefits. Pet owners may choose between the Essential plan, the Preferred plan, and the Ultimate plan.
Pet owners sometimes like to exchange experiences and get advice from other more experienced pet owners. Figo enables this through the Figo Pet Cloud app, which provides an excellent opportunity to connect with like-minded pet owners in the area. The Extra Care Pack add-on is a perk that Figo offers to pet owners who have pets with destructive tendencies.
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Minnesota?
Are you wondering how much is pet insurance MN? If yes, you should know that the price generally depends on several things. When preparing the quote, insurance providers consider the pet’s age, gender, species, breed, and health condition.
The price also varies based on the coverage plan and add-ons that the insurance provider offers. Of course, if you are entitled to a discount, the provider calculates that amount, too.
Generally speaking, pet owners can expect to pay an average of $45 per month for dogs and $25 per month for cats. If you opt for add-ons like a pet wellness plan, be prepared to pay between $10 and $25 per month. That amount is calculated on top of your premium price.
FAQ: Pet Insurance in Minnesota
Is there a waiting period for pet insurance policies in Minnesota?
There is always a waiting period between the initial enrollment and the start of the official coverage. The waiting period depends on the insurance provider that you select. The average or standard period is around 15 days, but some providers may shorten or prolong this waiting period.
What is the best time to purchase pet insurance for my pet?
We recommend you do this once your pet becomes eligible for pet insurance, meaning as early in its life as possible. Most insurance companies don’t cover pre-existing conditions, which means the sooner you sign up, the more likely you will avoid this issue. Also, purchasing preventive care will boost your budget when the time for vaccination and wellness treatments comes.