Things to Consider Before Choosing Pet Insurance in Nevada
- The type of coverage you need: Some pet insurance plans only cover accidental injuries, while others also cover illnesses. You will need to decide what type of coverage is right for you and your pet.
- The cost of the plan: Pet insurance can be expensive, so it is important to find a plan that fits your budget.
- The deductible and reimbursement rate: The deductible is the amount of money you will have to pay out of pocket before your insurance kicks in. The reimbursement rate is the percentage of the vet bill that your insurance will cover.
- The waiting period: Some pet insurance companies have a waiting period before they will cover certain conditions. This is usually around 14 days.
- The policy limits: The policy limits are the maximum amount of money your insurance will pay out for a single claim or over the lifetime of your pet.
Citizens of the Silver State are great pet lovers; hence choosing the right pet insurance Nevada offers is necessary. After all, your fur baby’s health and well-being aren’t something you should take lightly.
There is a wide selection of pet insurance in Nevada that will take care of your pet’s health and protect your wallet. We’ve compiled the top insurance providers based on the various affordable coverage plans that meet your pet’s needs and establish a relationship that may last for years to come.
If you want only the best for your pet (who doesn’t?), below we dive into some premium insurance providers offering the most affordable pet insurance in Nevada for 2023.
This certified B Corp was founded in 2015 and has since collected primarily five-star reviews from satisfied customers. Other than offering the most affordable rates for pet insurance policies, Lemonade donates to organizations chosen by policyholders.
- Affordable monthly premiums for everyone;
- Fast claims processing;
- Routine care add-ons;
- Choice of multiple policies;
- Donates portions of payments to charities.
- Insurance is not available in all states;
- It has a low BBB rating;
- Pets under two don’t get dental coverage;
- Policy adjustment available only at renewal.
Plans & Coverage
Lemonade offers policies for preventive care and unexpected accidents and injury. The average rates for standard policies are about $15 for cats and $40 for dogs.
The annual benefits offer five options between $5,000 and $100,000 to choose from, with reimbursement rates of 70%, 80%, and 90%. The customer can also choose between a $100, $250, or $500 deductible.
The insurance policy covers hospitalization, surgeries, X-rays, blood tests, MRIs and CT scans, urinalysis, and prescription medications. The policy does not cover pet pre-existing conditions, alternative therapies, dental illness, and elective procedures.
Lemonade offers three add-ons as preventive and wellness packages:
- Preventive – includes three vaccines per year, blood tests, annual wellness exams, heartworm screening, and fecal or internal parasite tests;
- Preventive Plus – includes all the services offered in the Preventive package plus routine dental cleanings, tick, flea, and heartworm medications;
- Preventive package for kittens and puppies – intended for youngsters and covers microchipping, two wellness visits, neutering and spraying, and up to six vaccines or boosters.
Spot is an insurance company that offers pet insurance plans customized for different budgets. It’s an excellent option for pet owners of older dogs because there is no upper age limit. It reduces out-of-pocket payments for care and provides full coverage options.
- Coverage for microchipping;
- Flexible plans;
- Coverage of alternative therapies;
- No upper age limits;
- Deductibles starting at $100;
- Unlimited annual coverage.
- Weekend customer service is not available;
- Higher premiums for younger pets;
- Prescription food not covered;
- Limited coverage for knees and ligaments;
- More extended accident waiting period.
Plans & Coverage
The cheapest coverage plan offered by Spot is the Accident-Only plan, providing coverage of unexpected accidents and injuries. The plan covers microchipping implantations but doesn’t cover pet illness treatments.
The Accident and Illness plan offers coverage of the accident and illness-related issues like surgeries, hospitalization, X-rays, and consultation fees for poison control. It also includes behavioral therapy, and it is one of the most sought-after plans by pet owners.
When talking about preventive care, Spot offers two options, but the catch is that you cannot purchase these plans separately. The Gold Preventive Care plan allows for up to $250 annual reimbursement. It covers specific costs for vaccines, heartworm tests, and dental cleanings.
The Platinum Preventive Care plan offers $450 in annual reimbursement. It covers higher costs for preventive procedures, spaying and neutering, and bordetella vaccines.
Spot offers almost the same coverage as other affordable pet insurance Nevada providers. That includes X-rays, diabetes, diagnosis, surgery, hospitalization, etc.
Spot’s maximum annual coverage is from $2,500 to unlimited. The deductibles are between $100 and $1,000, while the reimbursement options are 70%, 80%, or 90%.
Figo is ranked among the best pet insurance Nevada companies offering pet owners multiple reimbursement options. It allows for an opportunity for full reimbursement of expenses and the absence of caps on coverage.
- Access to free 24/7 live vet chat;
- 100% reimbursement with no annual limits;
- Short waiting period for injuries;
- No upper age limit.
- No coverage for behavioral treatments;
- Charges transaction fees for non-annual plans;
- No wellness plan policy is available.
Plans & Coverage
Figo offers pet owners a choice of three insurance policies: Essential, Preferred, and Unlimited plans. The lifetime maximums are $100,000 for the Essential, $150,000 for the Preferred, and unlimited for the Unlimited plan.
The reimbursement options are 70%, 80%, 90%, or 100%, and the deductibles are between $100 and $750.
Figo offers pet owners an excellent opportunity to connect with other pet owners in the surrounding area through the Figo Pet Cloud App and exchange stories and experiences. This app also allows you to track your pet’s medical history.
Rated among the best pet insurance in Nevada for older dogs, Embrace offers comprehensive coverage for pets up to 14 years. For dogs aged 15 or above, Embrace provides Accident-Only coverage.
Besides offering pet owners one of the best and most unique insurance benefits, Embrace uses its match program to donate $2 from every purchased policy to pet and animal charities. Being active and collaborating with charities further proves that the company takes its animal care seriously.
- 10% discount for multiple pets;
- High annual reimbursement;
- Healthy Pet Deductible Program;
- More flexibility for pre-existing conditions.
- No unlimited annual benefit option;
- Coverage available only for dogs and cats;
- No wellness insurance.
Plans & Coverage
Embrace offers more or less the same coverage as other insurance companies, including emergencies, surgeries, hospitalization, illness, allergies, diagnostics, and more.
The average cost of the plans is around $35 per month for dogs and $20 per month for cats. Embrace offers a Wellness Rewards Plan that allows for pet wellness reimbursements, giving your budget a leg-up.
The Healthy Pet Deductible Program makes Embrace stand out among the other insurance companies. Regardless of the deductible option you choose, for every year you don’t file a complaint, Embrace will take off $50 from your deductible. Consider this a reward from Embrace for taking good care of your pet and keeping it safe.
ASPCA is a long-time player in the insurance market and offers some of the best pet insurance in Nevada. They are also a partner of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. This provider’s plans vary from $30 per month for cats and $50 per month for dogs.
- Offers low deductible options;
- Coverage of microchipping is available;
- Multiple-pet discount.
- Limited to cats and dogs;
- Charges a $2 monthly transaction fee;
- 30-day processing time for claims.
Plans & Coverage
ASPCA covers standard conditions like accidents, injuries, behavioral issues, exam fees, stem cell therapy, diagnostic testing, etc. However, it doesn’t cover breeding costs, pet cosmetic procedures, pre-existing conditions, and boarding costs.
The minimum eligible age for enrollment of pets is eight weeks. We recommend opting for an annual payment of the pet policy. You’ll save up to $24 on transaction fees because ASPCA will charge you a $2 transaction fee for monthly payments.
There are multiple insurance plans that you can choose from – Accident-Only, Complete Coverage, and Preventive Care plans. Each of these comes in a basic package covering up to $250 and a platinum package covering up to $500.
Founded in 2005, the team of Pets Best consists of pet lovers and owners who have been involved in animal rescue and have veterinary experience. With a flexible coverage plan, it is slowly gaining the trust of many pet owners.
- Fast-claim reimbursement;
- 24/7 pet helpline;
- Flexible coverage options;
- Vet Direct Pay possibility.
- Doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions;
- Limited to cats and dogs.
Plans & Coverage
Pets Best offers a coverage plan that is tailored to suit every budget. Depending on preferences, the average monthly premiums vary between $12 and $60. This insurance provider is among the ones with short waiting periods and deposits the funds directly in your bank account.
The accident-only plan offers a $10,000 annual limit, 90% reimbursement rate, and a $250 deductible. Unlike other providers, Pets Best doesn’t require you to submit a pet’s vet exam and medical records upon subscription.
Trupanion has been among the top pet insurance Nevada provides for some time. And while the prices of the premium plans are relatively high, when it comes to coverage, Trupanion is more than generous.
- 90% coverage on all plans;
- No payout limits;
- Direct payments to vets.
- High-priced premiums;
- No discounts for multiple pets;
- Offer only one plan.
Plans & Coverage
Trupanion offers only one plan, but there are several add-ons to customize it according to your pet’s needs. This pet insurance in Nevada provides a reimbursement level of 90% and an annual deductible range of up to $1,000.
Trupanion offers three add-ons to the policy: Recovery and Complementary Care, Preceding Pet Coverage, and Pet Assistance Package. The insurance plans vary and cost about $59 per month for cats and $68 per month for dogs.
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Nevada?
Pet insurance in Nevada costs roughly $15-$30 per month for cats and $30-$50 per month for dogs.
Pet owners should bear in mind that the prices of insurance policies always depend on many factors like the age of the pet, breed, gender, and species. There is also the matter of coverage plan availability offered by the insurance providers.
To get the exact cost for the insurance policy, contact an insurance provider and ask for a quote for your pet.
FAQ: Pet Insurance in Nevada
Do I have to pay the vet if I have pet insurance?
Pet insurance policies cover only specific vet fees and medical treatments. Depending on the insurance provider and the chosen coverage plan, you may claim for unexpected illness and emergencies, but routine healthcare is usually not covered.
Do all pet insurances have a waiting period?
Yes, all the best pet insurance Nevada providers have a waiting period before covering your vet fees. That is because providers want to make sure you buy the policy before the animal gets sick.