Things to Consider Before Choosing Pet Insurance in New Jersey
- The type of coverage you need: Some pet insurance plans only cover accidental injuries, while others also cover illnesses. You will need to decide what type of coverage is right for you and your pet.
- The cost of the plan: Pet insurance can be expensive, so it is important to find a plan that fits your budget.
- The deductible and reimbursement rate: The deductible is the amount of money you will have to pay out of pocket before your insurance kicks in. The reimbursement rate is the percentage of the vet bill that your insurance will cover.
- The waiting period: Some pet insurance companies have a waiting period before they will cover certain conditions. This is usually around 14 days.
- The policy limits: The policy limits are the maximum amount of money your insurance will pay out for a single claim or over the lifetime of your pet.
Keeping a pet is all fun and games until it isn’t.
Accidents happen and furry friends fall ill – it’s just a normal part of life, after all.
At such times, any pet owner from the Garden State would be worried – and understandably so! The last thing you want to do in case your pet needs medical assistance or a checkup is worry about extensive financial expenses.
To save you the financial burden of taking care of your pet, getting NJ pet insurance is the smartest thing you can do – and as soon as possible.
If you’re wondering how much is pet insurance in NJ in 2023, and you want to find out which is the best pet insurance in NJ, just keep reading!
Lemonade is, according to many, the undisputed best pet insurance New Jersey provider, period. After all, Lemonade is an overall famous insurance company, with designated branches for house insurance, car insurance, renters insurance, and of course, pet insurance branch as well.
It stands out in quite a few ways; it has a variety of different coverage plans, for starters. There are prices suitable for pet owners within all budget ranges, while also contributing to charities.
To top it all off, the handy and comprehensive mobile pet insurance NJ app, together with the provider’s add ons make Lemonade a top pet insurance provider in NJ.
With many discounts, as well as a special policy through which claims are actually covered by premiums, the only blemish on Lemonade’s profile may be its subpar BBB rating.
- $100,000 annual limit
- A discount for bundle insurance policies and a discount for multiple pets
- Very easy and quick app for making claims
- Very customizable
- No coverage age limit
- Inexperience with pet insurance
- No phone number for customer contact
- No cash-back guarantee as of yet
- Only covers for dogs and cats
Lemonade Plans & Coverage
The cheapest monthly plan offered by Lemonade is $10 for cats, and $15 for dogs, while the average one is $15 for cats and $37 for dogs. Their plans cover accidents and illnesses, including infections, cancer, broken bones, hip dysplasia, heart disease, X-rays, surgery, blood tests, and ultrasounds.
If you opt for an add-on, you’ll also get a cover for vaccines, parasite tests, vet visits, acupuncture, holistic therapy, and annual exams, among other things.
What isn’t covered by any plan are pre-existing conditions, behavioral issues, as well as elective, cosmetic procedures.
The coverage limit varies between $5,000 and $100,000 depending on the age, breed, gender, and species of your pet, as well as your annual deductibles ($100-$500).
Embrace doesn’t lag far behind Lemonade either – especially if you consider some of its unique features, such as the Healthy Pet Deductible option, or the Embrace Wellness Reward program.
The Healthy Pet Deductible comes free with every policy and decreases your yearly deductible by $50, provided that you didn’t file a claim that year.
It offers a variety of deductibles, and it also comes with many discounts, which vary depending on which state you’re in.
Established back in 2003, Embrace has a reputation for collaborating with various charities. In fact, it donates $2 to different pet or animal charities for every policy plan purchased by a new or existing customer.
- Healthy Pet Deductible
- Free medical history examination and review included
- 10% discount for multiple pets
- 24/7 access to mobile application
- Embrace Wellness Reward – covering preventative costs
- A lower annual cap on claims of only $30,000
- Expensive wellness add-ons
- Long waiting period for illness insurance activation
Embrace Plans & Coverage
The coverage plans by Embrace encompass the following expenses: accidents, illnesses, hospitalizations, emergencies, cancer treatment, broken bones, allergies, infections, heart disease, dental conditions, chronic diseases, ultrasounds, surgery, X-rays, prosthetic limbs, exams, and diagnostics, etc.
Their plans don’t cover pre-existing pet conditions, breeding or pregnancy-related expenses, and cosmetic treatments.
The Embrace Wellness Reward program covers preventative care, including vaccines, routine vet visits, teeth cleaning, flea and tick check-ups, and similar procedures.
The waiting period is 2 days for accidents, and 14 days for illnesses.
Collaborating with organizations such as the Chubb Group and Aon Corporation, Healthy Paws is a professional pet insurance provider and among the best pet insurance New Jersey providers of 2023.
Created in 2009, Healthy Paws has, so far, donated north of $1.5 million to animal and pet-related charities.
Standing out due to its unlimited annual coverage limits, as well as the swift processing of claims, Healthy Paws is for pet parents who are ready to do anything – and spend as much as necessary – for their pet to feel better as soon as possible.
- 30-day cash-back guarantee
- Repayment of your first claim
- Unlimited annual cap
- Donation program for homeless animals
- Processes claims within 2 days of them being made
- Allows you to compare claims with those made by other NJ pet insurance companies
- Not as customizable as others on this list
- No preventative care included
- No wellness or routine care add ons available
- Fee for new members
- Limited to cats and dogs
Plans & Coverage
Healthy Pets only offers a single insurance plan that covers almost every aspect. But, the usual conditions are not covered by other insurance providers. These include pre-existing conditions, cosmetic procedures, breeding or pregnancy-related costs, and vet checkups.
Everything else – broken bones, surgeries, X-rays, cancer and heart illness treatments, etc., is fully included in their plan. At the same time, there are no preventative care, or wellness add ons available as part of the plan.
As for cost, you can decide between a reimbursement of 70% or 80%, as well as between an annual deductible of $250 or $500.
The monthly average for cats is $12, and for dogs is $40, with an initial waiting period of 15 days.
What makes Prudent Pet so special is its customization of services.
An accident-only plan, or an all-encompassing plan, a range of deductibles and reimbursement percentages, a simple and understandable coverage – these are all Prudent Pet trademarks. This makes it perfectly clear from the very beginning what exactly you’ll be getting from this pet insurance company and how much it’ll cost you.
Limited to cats and dogs, Prudent Pet offers several wellness add-ons as well – within a reasonable price range.
- A discount for multiple pets
- Variable reimbursement choices
- Tailoring of insurance plans to fit any pet
- No upper or lower age limits
- Plenty of exclusions
- Includes only dogs and cats
- Pricy premiums
Prudent Pet Plans & Coverage
The prices of plans and coverage with Prudent Pet are dependent on your pet’s species, breed, gender, age, and health condition. Your budgetary allowances are also taken into consideration, along with your pet’s lifestyle.
You can choose between 70%, 80%, or 90% reimbursement, while the annual deductible ranges between $100 and $1,000. The minimum annual coverage starts from $10,000 if you opt for the comprehensive maximum level insurance plan.
Aside from the standard pre-existing conditions, cosmetic procedures, and breeding-related expenses, Prudent Pet also doesn’t cover some other issues, like organ transplants.
Otherwise, it covers cancer treatment, heart illnesses, digestive problems, blood tests, broken bones, dental issues, etc.
You can also get a wellness package, which starts at $12 per month for dogs, and $8 per month for cats.
One of the oldest and most experienced entries on our list, ASPCA is simultaneously a pet insurance company, and a charitable fund. They put pet parents in touch with local vet services, and offer a whole health review of your pet for free.
Moreover, they also have a special online feature, which allows you to compare their claims and coverages with those of other NJ pet insurance companies in order to get a better perspective of how much you’re paying – and what you’re getting for that price.
With 3 different plans on offer; an accident-only plan, an accident + illness plan, and an all-encompassing advanced care plan, ASPCA makes one of the best insurance in NJ providers.
- Basic coverage has microchip insertion included
- A number of deductibles
- 14-day waiting period for hip dysplasia
- Smartphone app for claims
- No medical records necessary to get a policy
- Low annual cap at $10,000
- No cover for breed-specific and pre-existing conditions
- No chat service for customer support
ASPCA Plans & Coverage
ASPCA offers 2 insurance plans. The cheapest one, the Accident-Only Plan, covers injuries sustained through accidents.
The Complete Coverage Plan covers everything that the accident-only one does, with the addition of treatment for almost all illnesses. At the same time, their Basic Preventative Plan covers routine check-ups, deworming procedures, extraction of fleas and ticks, as well as vet exams.
The average monthly cat cost is around $30, while that of dogs is $50.
Fetch by Dodo (Petplan)
With a top rating from BBB and policy availability for cats and dogs older than 6 months, Fetch by Dodo is a strikingly competitive pet insurance provider. As such, it is definitely one of the best pet insurance New Jersey providers of 2023.
- Payouts vary between $2,500 and unlimited
- A wide range of deductibles allows for flexible plans
- Up to 90% reimbursement
- Limited to dogs and cats
- The monthly average may be more expensive than other companies
- Longer waiting periods for claim payouts
Fetch by Dodo Plans & Coverage
With a starting monthly cost of $19 for cats and $27 for dogs, and a monthly average of $28 for cats, and $45 for dogs, Fetch by Dodo offers a flexible array of options, suited for different pets and pet owners.
If you opt for their comprehensive plan, you’ll get coverage for standard pet injuries, illnesses, treatments, checkups, as well as pre-existing conditions, elective procedures, and pregnancy/breeding expenses.
If there’s one thing that makes Figo distinguish itself from the competition, it’s its add-on approach. Pet parents can benefit from their fairly affordable basic plan, which offers the option to include as many additional as necessary.
- Cloud app that allows you to contact other pet owners, vets, and pet health stores
- A liability add-on that covers up to $10,000 of property damage done by your pet
- Unlimited annual coverage with its Unlimited Plan
- 100% reimbursement
- 24/7 live vet access
- Non-annual plans come with a transaction fee
- Coverage varies depending on your state
Figo Plans & Coverage
Figo has 3 different plans to offer: the Essential Plan ($5,000 coverage), the Preferred Plan ($10,000 coverage), and the Unlimited Plan (unlimited coverage).
All three cover essential accident and illness expenses, and neither cover pre-existing conditions, elective procedures, and breeding-related expenses.
With elective add-ons, you can also get cover for preventative costs, vaccinations, and vet visit fees.
How Much is Pet Insurance in New Jersey (NJ) in 2023?
Prices for pet insurance in New Jersey vary depending on multiple factors, including city, pet species, breed, gender, age, and health conditions.
Although the monthly average for dogs is around $20-$50, and that for cats is about $10-$30, the average in Atlantic City ($35), for instance, is somewhat lower than that in Jersey City and Princeton ($44).
FAQ: Pet Insurance in New Jersey
Are there any NJ pet laws that I need to know?
Yes. For instance, all cats and dogs need to be vaccinated for rabies, they need to be leashed constantly when in public, and have to wear their license on the collar.
Will NJ pet insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. No pet insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions, as these were already in existence before the implementation of the policy and are not the responsibility of the policy providers.