New York City – the city that never sleeps centralizes many pet parents and 1.1 million pets they can enjoy Central Park walks with.
Yet, when raising a pet in NYC, there is a substantial need to guard your pet against possible harm – physical exposure to diseases, accidents, injuries, and others. For all these reasons, collaborating with the best pet insurance NYC provider is a smart move to make.
To help you choose a trusted provider, we created a review of the best pet insurance in New York in 2022.
Lemonade Pet Insurance
Lemonade is one of the best pet insurance New York providers and among the 5 best pet insurance for dogs providers of 2022. With convenient and versatile coverage plans, Lemonade steals attention left and right.
- High annual caps up to $100,000
- Creative plans
- Short waiting for accidents
- No behavioral therapies are necessary for a New Yorks’s busy life
- Dental treatments aren’t included
Plans & Coverage
Lemonades policy system is customizable, where you can add more features to the basic plan, or keep it as is. So, here’s what you can expect with the basic plan:
- Accidents: fractures, infections, poisoning, and other accidents.
- Common Illnesses: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Congenital & Hereditary conditions: asthma, elbow, or hip dysplasia, allergies, or any other illnesses that run in the nuclear family.
- Chronic diseases: heart diseases, kidney failures, cancer, and more.
That’s the basic plan. But, there are additional treatments you can add and unlock several features to complete your pet’s and budget’s needs.
- Hospitalization: surgeries, special care, outpatient, hospital needs.
- Tests and Screenings: blood tests, lab work, CT Scans, X-rays, ultrasounds, and many more.
- Therapy: Physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture.
- Med Prescription: Given by vets.
- Vet visit fees: exam fees.
Lemonade includes preventative care for pets, too. If you’re a young pet parent, maybe you’d want to consider this option since it contains all the needed vaccines and liabilities any furry baby can come across.
If you’re interested in preventative care, bear in mind that it includes reimbursement of 70%, 80%, 90% of the routine care and checkup bills.
Yet, if you want absolute coverage – go for the premium coverage plan. It includes the basic plan, preventative care, but also:
- Dental cleaning
- Medicine: fleas, tick, or heartworm
- Vaccinations for puppies and kittens under 2 years old
Judging by client testimonials, Embrace is the go-to pet insurance provider for many pet parents, hence its 9/10 client rating and satisfaction.
But, aside from the outstanding coverage plans that we’ll review shortly, that’s also due to the open network of vets. Statistics show that pet parents want to have the freedom to choose a vet, not get assigned one.
Here’s why we penciled Embrace on our Pet Insurance in New York list.
- Budget-friendly plans
- Convenient coverage
- Deductibles reset if you don’t make a claim the entire year
- Negative experience with the premium plans
- Diet and food supplements aren’t covered
- Limited working hours for customer support
Plans & Coverage
Embrace leaves its competitors behind by including several coverage plans. So, let’s check out the entire list:
- Accidents and illnesses: Any injury, accident, poisoning, predator attack
- Random sickness: Fever, cold, nausea, diarrhea, heat strokes, to name a few
- Chronic Illnesses: Heart diseases, kidney failures, asthma
- Specialty care: Elbow or hip dysplasia
- Preventable conditions: Lyme disease, parasites, parvo, and other illnesses
- Dental Accidents and Illnesses: Embrace covers dental illnesses and accidents up to $1,000
- Follow-ups: any necessary test, examination, scan following an accident or illness your pet is covered for
- Breed-specific & Genetic conditions: Any inherited illness is covered and doesn’t count as a pre-existing condition
- Behavioral Therapy: separation therapy
On a pricing note, Embrace is quite attractive. Unlike other insurance companies, the deductibles here aren’t fixed. Embrace pet insurance has an annual deductible that reduces by $50 if you haven’t claimed throughout the year. Chances are, you might hit the rock bottom, and it won’t hurt.
Reimbursement isn’t like any other policy with Embrace because you get paid via Direct Vet.
Healthy Paws started off in 2009, as a non-profit organization helping pets, and fighting off animal cruelty.
Driven to do justice to animals, Healthy Paws fought its way up on the best pet insurance in New York.
- Limitless annual coverage
- Quick response
- Direct Vet payments
- No behavioral therapy
- Examination fees aren’t covered
- No wellness plan coverage
Plans & Coverage
Healthy Paws offers only one coverage plan that includes the following:
- Accidents and Illnesses: broken bones, poisoning, snake bites, predator attacks
- Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Hip and Elbow Dysplasia, Intervertebral Disc Disease, Cherry Eye, tests, scans, and X-rays.
- Chronic Conditions: diabetes, obesity, arthritis, upper chronic respiratory diseases, lower urinary tract diseases, kidney failures, glaucoma, hypothyroidism, allergies, and herpes.
- Cancer: chemotherapy, lab tests, surgery, diagnostics, med prescriptions, alternative therapy, radiation therapy, diagnostics, rehabilitation.
- Emergency & Specialty Care: neurology, cardiology, ophthalmology, internal medicine, critical care, oncologists for cancer treatments.
- Alternative care: chiropractic, hydrotherapy, laser therapy, massage, acupuncture, veterinary herbal therapy, homeotherapy.
Healthy Paws pricing varies according to the pet’s age, type, and breed.
As said, Healthy Paws doesn’t cap the annual limits but offers reimbursement of up to 90%. However, for an older dog, you’ll have to pay around $40, while for cats, the price comes at around $12.
Prudent Pet insurance is one of the newest pet insurance companies on the market. It has set foot for the first time in 2018. Regardless of experience, Prudent Pet managed to rank with some of the most reputable insurance companies.
For that reason, Pet Plan belongs among the best pet insurance NY providers.
- Fast claim processing
- No limits for elder pets
- Long waiting period for accidents and illnesses
- Expensive premium programs
- Not a mobile-friendly pet insurance
Plans & Coverage
Prudent Pet insurance offers three pet insurance plans for New Yorkers.
So, here’s what you can expect:
- Basic Plan: accidents and illnesses like predator wounds, special care, fractures, swallowed objects, urgent surgeries, etc.
- Essential Plan: This plan includes the basic plan but it includes chronic conditions, hereditary & congenital conditions. In other words, that means eye, ear, or skin infections, birth defects, or hip or elbow dysplasia.
- Ultimate Plan: This plan includes the basic and essential, but it’s upgraded with stolen pets, boarding fees, and compensation for theft or stray.
Prudent Pet pricing is super affordable. Several deductible options begin with a $100, $250, $500, and $1,000.
However, the Basic and Essential plans are capped up to $10,000, while the Ultimate plan is unlimited.
As for the reimbursement options, New Yorkers can customize the plan up to 70%, 80%, and 90%.
Ultimately, Prudent Pet insurance includes 10% discounts for insuring future pets. Plus, if you refer them to a friend, you’ll get additional Amazon bonuses.
ASPCA or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was the first society established in America against cruelty to animals.
Nowadays, ASPCA Pet Insurance in collaboration with the ASPCA society makes it the largest pet insurance company in the world that also advocates for animal rights.
As part of its mission, ASPCA offers an outstanding life insurance policy. So, check what made ASPCA earn its place in our best pet insurance in NY.
- Pre-existing conditions flexibility
- Extra customizable plans
- Behavioral therapies are included
Plans & Coverage
With ASPCA Pet Insurance there are two plans available: Accidents Only and Complete Coverage plan.
Their Accidents Only plan covers injuries, wounds, predator attacks, ingestion, poisoning, and other accidents – much like any basic plan.
The Complete Coverage Plan, on the other hand, includes the accidents and illnesses, but also coverage for:
- Undefined Diseases: digestive issues, ear, eye, skin infections, urinary infections, hypothyroidism
- Test & Lab Examinations: ultrasounds, bloodwork, lab work, MRIs, etc.
- Hereditary & Congenital conditions: IVDD, eye disorder, hip or elbow dysplasia, heart diseases
- Chronic conditions: diabetes, cancer
- Therapies: rehabs, chiropractic care
- Behavioral therapies to prevent: destructive chewing, fur pulling, pacing, licking, separation
- Prescriptions of medication: Only when given by a vet
- Microchip implants
On top of this plan, New Yorkers also have the option to add wellness care. ASPCA’s wellness care offers vaccinations, flea and tick medication, and dental cleanings – all these are recommended for young pets so as to prevent further issues in time.
As for the ASPCA pricing list, pet parents can set it up according to their budget and pet needs. In other words, they can choose an annual pricing cap of:
You can choose one of the three deductible options, namely, $100, $250, $500. As for reimbursement, pet owners can choose between 70%, 80%, or 90%.
Fetch by Dodo (Petplan)
Petplan is currently renamed Fetch by Dodo Pet insurance. That means that Fetch administers Petplan policies, but the policy remains trustworthy and reliable.
Essentially, Petplan stole attention with the convenient coverage plans and prices, but let’s see everything in detail.
- Flexible plans
- Lots of discounts
- Fast claim processing
- Doing regular pet health checks to prove their well-being to Petplan are uncovered by their insurance
- Obligatory vet confirmation that a pet suffers from an illness or an injury is required
- Complaints about the premium plans
Plans & Coverage
Fetch’s pet insurance policies differ in terms of the annual cap on coverage. Otherwise, they offer a comprehensive number of coverage quotes, so check them out.
- Accidents & Illnesses
- Hereditary & Congenital Conditions
- Chronic conditions
- Med Prescription
- Alternative Therapies
- Behavioral Therapies
Therefore, the policies of over $15,000 unlock the additional premium coverage including:
- Travel reimbursement: Travel insurance covers any accident or illness during a vacay.
- Advertisement and reward: Any stolen insured pet at Petplan is entitled to a public advertisement and reward
- Lost Pet reimbursement: Any lost pet at Petplan gets reimbursement
- Cost of boarding: Petplan covers your pet’s staycation in case of sickness or an injury
Fetch by Dodo’s pricing plan is customizable as other insurance providers. Only here pet parents can choose between:
Their reimbursement can be of 70%, 80%, or 90%, whereas the deductibles vary from $250 – $1,000.
Figo is more than just a pet insurance company. The Figo Pet Cloud allows you to keep records of your pet regarding their vaccinations and offers a 24/7 licensed vet professional. Moreover, it’s also a social app connecting multiple pet parents to communicate and organize playdates.
- Customizable plans
- Absolute reimbursements of up to 100%
- Open chain for vets
- Elder pets limitations
- Charges an administration fee
- Dissatisfaction regarding the official site’s interface
Plans & Coverage
Figo Pet Insurance steps up to the plate with three plans: Essential, Preferred, and Ultimate. Each plan differs in terms of the annual limit. Namely, the Essential plan covers $5,000, the Preferred plan covers $10,000 annually, and the Ultimate plan is limitless.
On the other hand, Figo Pet Insurance offers:
- Urgent services: coverage in case of an illness or an injury
- Hereditary and congenital conditions: coverage illness or condition inherited by mama or papa
- Hospitalization: coverage for all relevant tests, lab works, examinations, or other follow-ups of a covered illness
- Chronic conditions: heart disease, kidney failure, asthma, and so on. But, to stress out, Figo offers advanced treatments like CyberKnife and radiosurgery.
As an additional quote, you can add the Wellness Program that offers coverage for puppies and kitties as it includes all the needed vaccines, worm treatments, and nutritional plans that are recommended to begin talking earlier.
The pricing is super versatile as it begins with deductibles from $100 to $1,500.
The annual caps differ by:
- Essential plan: $5,000
- Preferable: $10,000
- Ultimate: Unlimited
The best comes in reimbursement as it varies from 70% to 100% – or absolute coverage.
FAQ: Pet Insurance in New York
How much is Pet Insurance in NY?
Pet insurance companies in New York are super versatile and customizable, and so are their prices. For a top pet insurance NYC provider, choose any of the aforementioned contenders. On average, pet parents in NYC will pay between $30–$95 a month for dogs, and between $35–$50 a month for cats.