Animal owners from The Keystone State know that a pet is as beloved as a family member – and their well-being is a top priority.
Given that 60.6% of the households in PA own a pet, the need to keep them safe against possible injuries, traumas, or health issues becomes paramount.
Even if it is concerning a regular pet health check and needs like neutering, spaying, or vaccinations, getting your puppy or kitten pet insurance will ensure they are healthy and in superb mental and physical shape.
But, not all pet insurance PA policies are the same – they vary in both price and plan coverage. Luckily, we’re here to help you find the best pet insurance Pennsylvania providers for your pet’s needs. Here’s a list of the best pet insurance in PA in 2023!
A fairly new insurance company, also delving into other branches, like home insurance and renter’s insurance, Lemonade stands out due to its affordable monthly rates, user-friendly plans, and flexible add ons.
Lemonade features an extremely well-developed and intuitive online presence and offers users a mobile app, which allows for making quick claims. Additionally, it offers wellness plans intended for both elderly pets, and younger puppies and kittens.
- Quite affordable monthly premiums
- Comprehensive mobile app for making quick claims
- $100,000 annual coverage cap
- 5% discount for multiple pets, or 10% for bundle insurance (if you get pet insurance + home, or renters insurance)
- Coverage for vet visits, exam fees, and physical therapy
- 40% donation to non-profit causes
- 2-day waiting period for accidents
- Wellness plans for young and elderly pets
- 6-month waiting period for cruciate ligament ailments
- No coverage for dental procedures and behavioral treatments
- Customer support can be tricky to reach
Plans & Coverage
While Lemonade does not offer a variety of different plans (no accident-only plan, for example), their basic plan does cover most pet conditions, including accident-sustained injuries, as well as cancer treatments, heart conditions, allergies, congenital and hereditary disorders, hip dysplasia, digestive issues, etc. They also cover hospitalizations, emergencies, surgeries, X-rays, ultrasounds, etc.
What they don’t cover are dental issues, pre-existing conditions, breeding, and pregnancy-related expenses, cosmetic, elective, or experimental surgeries, as well as behavioral issues.
Lemonade offers add ons for wellness, which covers exam fees, vaccinations, dewormings, blood tests, as well as parasite, flea, and tick therapy. This would cost about $14 per month for cats, and $23 per month for dogs, on average.
That aside, the overall average monthly cost for the insurance is about $15.5 for cats and around $27 for dogs.
Embrace’s 5 deductible options are exactly what lands the provider among the best pet insurance for dogs Pennsylvania. And yes, cats are also included in their insurance plans.
Not only is Embrace flexible with deductibles, but they also allow you to save or get money back, whether through reimbursements at different percentages, or through their 30-day money-back guarantee. They also have their Healthy Pet Deductible, which lowers your deductible by $50 for each year that you haven’t filed a claim.
- Comprehensive plans for accidents and illnesses
- 24/7 open Pet Helpline
- Healthy Pet Deductible
- An intuitive mobile device app for making quick claims and reviewing PDF documents
- 100% preventative reimbursement option
- Exam fee coverage included in the basic plan
- Basic plan coverage for wellness treatments, like hydrotherapy and acupuncture
- Five deductibles, ranging between $200 and $1,000 per month
- Annual coverage cap of $30,000
- 1$ per month installment fee for the monthly premium
- Comparatively costly wellness plans
Plans & Coverage
Apart from not covering pre-existing conditions, cosmetic or elective surgeries, or any exotic pets, Embrace will usually have a plan that covers most of the expenses that you’re interested in getting out of your way.
They have many options for pet insurance plans, which cost a monthly average of about $11-$43 for cats, and $18-$73 for dogs. These include coverage for most injuries and illnesses, such as broken bones, heart conditions, cancer, congenital conditions, hereditary conditions, X-rays, ultrasounds, emergency hospitalizations, etc.
Their Wellness Rewards Plan comes available at 3 tiers, namely an $18.75 per month ($250 per year) tier, a $35.42 per month ($450 per year) tier, and a $52.09 per month ($650 per year). These cover vaccinations, spaying, vet checkups, supplements, and other types of preventative care.
Another one of the best pet insurance for dogs in PA policy providers is Healthy Paws. Unlike some of the other entries on this list, Healthy Paws doesn’t specialize in preventative care and wellness plans. But, they compensate for that with their unlimited annual cap, regardless of the plan, as well as their comparatively affordable prices.
Healthy Paws’ plans are backed by the Chubb insurance group.
What’s even more impressive, is Healthy Paws’ reputation as one of the most generous pet insurance providers, having donated more than $1.6 million by now.
- Unlimited annual coverage cap, regardless of the plan
- Processes claims within 2 days of them having been submitted
- 30-day money-back guarantee included
- Comprehensive and intuitive mobile device app for making claims
- A tool that allows you to compare their claims with those of competitors
- Overall more affordable premiums
- Only one single plan included, albeit flexible
- No wellness or preventative care plans
- Not as many deductible options
- No multiple pet discount
- 12-month waiting period for coverage for hip dysplasia
Plans & Coverage
The plan you can get at Healthy Paws covers most, if not all, of the conditions that other plans cover too – diagnostics, emergency hospitalizations, treatment for illnesses like cancer, blood pressure, heart conditions, hereditary, chronic, and congenital conditions, ultrasounds, etc.
It doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, elective procedures, breeding-related fees, as well as routine exam fees. The monthly average fees usually come to about $17-$23 for cats and around $37-$50 for dogs.
Fetch by Dodo (PetPlan)
An inconspicuous, yet quite competitive pretender for the best pet insurance in PA position, Fetch by Dodo knows that including a bit of everything is the best recipe when it comes to gripping potential customers. Unlike the other companies mentioned here, it doesn’t boast some incredibly competitive premiums, but it does stand out quite a bit.
And its A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau can verify that it truly knows what it’s doing! Whether it’s Fetch’s extremely wide variety of deductible options or the available coverage for all dogs and cats above the age of 6 months, it all goes towards producing an army of happy customers.
- 90% maximal reimbursement option
- Multiple coverage alternatives, starting at $2,500 and going up to an unlimited annual cap
- Flexible plans in terms of deductibles and reimbursement percentages
- Costlier monthly plans, as compared to their annual premiums
- Slower processing of claims
- Their insurance only covers dogs and cats
Plans & Coverage
Fetch’s pet insurance Pennsylvania plans start at $30 per month for dogs, and $20 per month for cats, while the average is around $45 per month for dogs and $30 per month for cats.
The plans don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic surgeries, experimental treatments, as well as breeding fees. They do, however, cover most other types of expenses. The comprehensive plan covers vet visits, exam fees, hip dysplasia, broken bones, chronic and congenital illnesses, as well as heart and cancer disease treatment.
Established in 2017 as part of the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Foundation, it’s easy to see why a pet insurance in Pennsylvania company such as ASPCA has found its way on our list.
Offering flexible and customizable deductible and reimbursement options, several types of discounts, a notable and easy-to-adapt-to online presence, as well as a 30-day cash-back guarantee, ASPCA has everything a pet parent could wish for and more.
- Cover for microchipping procedures
- 10% discount for multiple pet plans
- Variable deductibles, that can be quite affordable through annual plans
- A low annual coverage cap of $10,000
- Cats and dogs only
- $1 monthly fee unless you go for an annual plan
Plans & Coverage
There is a wide range of different plans offered by ASPCA, including an accident-only plan, which only covers injuries sustained through accidents. Then, there is the accident and illness plan, which additionally covers most other ailments, like heart conditions, diabetes, behavioral conditions, diagnostics, cancer, dental issues, surgeries, etc.
They also have wellness plans, which cover preventative care – spayings, exam fees, deworming, flea, tick, and parasite tests and treatments, and more.
The average monthly cost for the ASPCA pet insurance in PA plans is around $30 for cats and $50 for dogs.
Figo has multiple things going for it that make it one of the best PA pet insurance firms out there, but if we’d have to pick one, it would be the Figo Extra Care Pack. In essence, it provides coverage for vacation cancellations, boarding expenses, and even property damage done by your pet!
- Processing claims within 3 days
- An unlimited annual coverage option available
- 1-day waiting period
- 100% reimbursement option
- Figo Pet Cloud, which allows you to connect with local pet owners and vets
- Annual examinations are compulsory in order to keep the insurance afloat
- The deductibles are dependent on factors like your pet’s breed, age, and gender
Plans & Coverage
Figo’s monthly average for cats is around $10-$40, while their monthly average for dogs ranges between $20 and $70. Aside from the standard pre-existing conditions, pregnancy fees, and cosmetic fees, their plans cover just about anything of relevance.
Additionally, their wellness add ons will also cover vaccinations, exam fees, and spayings, while the Extra Care Pack reimburses you for mortality fees, lost pet searching expenses, and property damage.
Prudent Pet distinguishes itself with its 3 principal plans – the Accident-Only plan (most affordable), the Essential Plan (optimal for most pet parents), and the Ultimate Plan (extra benefits + unlimited annual coverage).
- 24/7 online chat
- 10% discount for multiple pets
- Variety of deductibles and reimbursement percentages
- Wellness add ons, which, together with the variety of plans and deductibles, is suitable for any budget
- Low coverage cap for the Accident-Only and Essential Plans
- Not enough flexibility past the formal distinctions
Plans & Coverage
The overall average monthly fees for cats with Prudent Pet are about $36, whilst those for dogs are $65.
The Accident-Only Plan is the cheapest, and covers only accident-sustained injuries, with an annual cap of $10,000.
The Essential Plan covers accidents and illnesses, with an annual cap of $10,000.
Finally, the Ultimate Plan covers everything that the Essential Plan does, but with an unlimited annual cap, and additional boarding fees, end-of-life expenses, vacation cancellations, etc.
How Much is Pet Insurance in Pennsylvania?
Pet insurance in Pennsylvania varies greatly, depending on various factors, such as the animal’s species, breed, age, gender, and hereditary conditions. It can also depend on the budget that every pet owner has at their disposal.
On average, the monthly fee for cats is around $30, while that for dogs is around $60. The cost also varies between different cities in PA.
FAQ: Pet Insurance in Pennsylvania
How much is the waiting period for pet insurance in PA?
Waiting periods vary between companies, but the average is around 15 days. Some companies have shortened it to 1 or 2 days for accidents, while others have a waiting period of about a year for certain health conditions.
Does pet insurance PA cover vaccinations?
Most basic plans don’t cover vaccinations. However, companies that offer wellness or preventative care plans tend to cover vaccination fees, along with exam fees, dewormings, etc.